Do you take Insurance?

I am an in-network provider with Cigna. I will verify your mental health coverage prior to your first session. To do so, I will need the following information.

  • Your Insurance company
  • The customer service number on the back of the card
  • Your member and group IDs
  • Your (and the main subscriber’s) birthdays

I am out of network with all other insurance companies. Many clients are able to utilize their out-of-network benefits for counseling services and get reimbursed by their insurance company. I can submit a claim to your insurance and have any possible reimbursement sent to you or provide you with a copy of a superbill which you can submit for possible reimbursement. Superbills are a receipt of services paid for with a diagnosis. The amount that you get back varies and depends on your specific plan.  Some people get half or even full coverage using superbills.  You may need to meet your deductible before you get the reimbursement, but submitting the superbills go toward your deductible. I also encourage you to verify your out-of-network benefits prior to your session. You will still be responsible to pay the full fee for service up front. 
*Please be aware that using a superbill means that the child or you will have a diagnosis on your insurance, which may or may not have consequences in the future for you or the child. 

Do You Offer Sliding Scale?

While I do not provide sliding scale, I am part of Open Path Collective. Open Path is intended for people who either lack health insurance or are under insured, and cannot otherwise afford to work with a therapist. For more information and to see if you qualify,  please click here.

Do you see clients through CALVCB?

Yes, I do see clients who have a current case/application open with California Victim of Compensation Board. If you are a victim of a crime and require mental health services, you may be eligible to receive services. To see if you are eligible click here. To apply for Victim Compensation please click here.